Signs That It’s Time to Call an Electrician

Posted by Polar Shades on Feb 27, 2019 10:32:51 AM

Faulty wiring, cords, plugs, lighting fixtures, surge protectors, and meter boxes are all huge fire hazards. If you notice any of these electrical issues in your home, it’s time to call an electrician right away:

Outlet and Switch Problems 

Contact a Licensed Electrician to Resolve These Electrical Issues

Outlets and switches should never:

  • Display scorch marks
  • Emit a burning odor, smoke or sparks
  • Feel warm to the touch
  • Make strange sounds, especially crackling, buzzing or popping sounds
  • Move around or feel “jiggly” 
  • Send a tingling sensation or shock through your fingers or hand 

If you notice any of these indicators, unplug any electronics and turn off the circuit breakers, then call your electrician to inspect all outlets and switches.

Other Warning Signs 

Other warning signs to take note of are:

  • Aluminum wiring, which is especially prevalent in homes built from the early 1950s to the late 1970s. Aluminum can overheat, which is why it’s best to switch to copper wiring.
  • Circuit breakers that trip frequently – a sign that your circuits are overloaded or a short exists in the wiring, which is a significant fire hazard. If this occurs consistently, call your electrician right away.
  • Excessively tangled wiring. Electricians must occasionally cram wires into tight spots. But the wires should still be discernible and not piled on top of one another in a thick heap. If you uncover wiring that looks like it was haphazardly installed, contact an electrician to inspect them. 
  • Lights that dim or flicker. This often indicates a problem with the fixture, wiring or circuit. Don’t delay an electrical inspection if this is occurring in your home.
  • Mice. In addition to posing a health hazard, mice love to gnaw on electrical wires until they're bare. Exposed wires can overheat and spark, causing a fire. If you find mouse droppings in your home, you should have your electrical wiring checked, as well as contact an exterminator to eliminate the problem.
  • Ungrounded outlets, or those that accommodate only two-prong plugs, in your bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room, and anyplace else you use water. These outlets should be upgraded to ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to eliminate the risk of shock and fire.

If you’re moving into a new home, you should have an electrician thoroughly inspect all outlets, plugs and wiring for these issues. If you notice any of these signs in your existing home, contact an electrician right away to eliminate the risk of a fire. For more home maintenance best practices, read here:

Design Guide

Topics: Home Improvement

Recent Posts

Subscribe to Email Updates

Something Powerful

Tell The Reader More

The headline and subheader tells us what you're offering, and the form header closes the deal. Over here you can explain why your offer is so great it's worth filling out a form for.

Remember:

  • Bullets are great
  • For spelling out benefits and
  • Turning visitors into leads.
What type of shades are best for your home?
Design Guide
10 Questions When Buying WIndow Shades
New Call-to-action

DIVISIONS OF POLAR SHADES

Polar Shades Powder CoatingAll Seasons Retractable Screens