A good night's rest is critical for your mind and body. Unfortunately, too many people in the US complain they spend their days feeling sluggish due to poor sleep.
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), 1 in 3 Americans are sleep deprived. Besides making you feel awful, a lack of quality sleep is dangerous and can have a negative impact on your health. Studies show the effects of a poor sleep may result in weight gain, an increase in accidents and memory problems, along with a weakened immune system.
While chronic sleepiness affects many Americans, one of the groups most affected is overnight workers. If you are working the third-shift, it is important you take extra precautions to get the rest you need.
The Mayo Clinic, which studies the effects of sleep deprivation, makes several suggestions how you can improve your sleep. If you would like to sleep better, you may wish to consider:
- Maintaining the same sleep schedule, even during the weekends, and when you are on holiday. Once your body adapts to a particular rhythm, abrupt time changes can play havoc on your body.
- Avoiding napping throughout the day, and try to incorporate at least a few minutes of vigorous physical activity.
- Trying not to attempt to sleep when you are either too hungry, or directly after having a large meal. Drinking a lot before bed may make you wake during the night to visit the bathroom.
- Keeping your bedroom clutter-free and clean. It’s difficult to sleep in a smelly room filled with junk. A bedroom needs to be a calming sanctuary. Straighten up and try filling the room with a sleep inducing scent, such as lavender.
- Avoiding watching TV in bed. In fact, it’s best to designate your bedroom a screen-free zone. Banning TVs, computers, and mobile devices will make you feel more relaxed and ready for bed.
One of the best ways to protect your bedroom from unwanted light is to use the highest quality room darkening shades available. Polar Shades offers Las Vegas residents the finest selection of shades, awnings and more for their home or business. Call 702-260-6110 and speak with a customer representative for a free in-home consultation and learn how Polar Shades can help you sleep, and live, better.