As the days get sunnier and the weather warms up, now is the perfect time to jump into spring cleaning. Use these seven simple tips to reduce your time spent cleaning this spring and in the coming summer months.
- Start at the Top: Cleaning should be done top to bottom so if dust falls, it doesn't dirty what you just cleaned. Begin your spring cleaning on the ceiling. Dust and wipe down all fans and light fixtures, then knock down any cobwebs with a clean broom.
- Clean Your Coils: While they may be 'out of sight, out of mind', the coils and filters on your appliances can cause the appliance to work less effectively and may pose a safety hazard. Pull out all appliances to clean the sides and bottom of each, making sure to clear out any debris or dust found on the coils or filters. Take the time to clean out the exhaust on your dryer.
- Air Out Winter Linens: On a nice day, take your comforters, blankets, and pillows outside and hang them up to refresh them for another year. Then, pack them away in a plastic bin or bag to keep them fresh for next winter.
- Prevent Dust with Furniture Polish: Keep your fan blades and baseboards dust-free by following up your spring cleaning with a thin layer of floor cleaner or lemon oil. By coating your wooden fixtures with a slippery agent, dust naturally falls off and onto the floor for easy sweeping.
- Simplify: The best way to reduce the amount of spring cleaning that needs to be done is to have less things. Spring is the perfect time to simplify with a yard sale. Go through your house and box up anything you don't use or love. This not only can get money back in your pocket, but reduce the time spent spring cleaning next year.
- Dry the Drapes: Drapery is often overlooked during spring cleaning. This spring, take down the drapes and toss them in the dryer with a wet towel for 15 minutes (unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise). This will pull any dust off and smooth out any wrinkles. As soon as they're "dried", hang them back up.
- Ditch Those Blinds: If you're still using vinyl or wooden blinds, don't spend another spring carefully dusting each one off only to find them dirty again next week. Consider dropping those clunky blinds for retractable shades which don't accumulate as much dust, require far less cleaning, and can help save money on your electric bills.
Spring cleaning doesn't have to be a pain and with some foresight, you can make the task easier on yourself next year. If you're ready to pull down those dusty blinds, call Polar Shades at 877-260-6110 to find out how you can have a cleaner and cooler home.